There are brew guys, whiskey rye guys, guys who sip alcohol on the rocks and gentlemen who prefer something of a different class: champagne, wine, or specially prepared cocktails. James Bond is no ordinary man, he is a gentleman who orders his martinis shaken not stirred…right? 50 years, 6 different actors, X novels, 22 films, and countless luxury brand associations, Skyfall , the 23rd Bond film in the 007 franchise is finally suggesting “some things shouldn’t be shaken or stirred” when Bond takes a swig of his ice cold… Heineken…. Really?!? James Bond drinks Heineken! I suppose audiences shouldn’t really be surprised considering Bond’s Vodka of choice is Smirnoff, champagne: Bollinger, and Gin: Gordon’s suggesting no pretentious air about our favorite British Agent. Bond drinks a total of 317 alcoholic beverages throughout the novels averaging about one every seven pages and Perrier (used only to “improve a poor drink”) may be the only brand association I agree should touch this culturally refined character’s parched lips.
Bond’s Top 10 Go-To Beverages + Heineken for Good Measure:
- Vodka/Gin Martini (Smirinoff)
- Scotch Soda (21 mentions in the novels)
- Champagne (Bollinger totally 35 mentions)
- Red wine (Chateau Mouton Rothschild totaling 10 mentions)
- Vodka/Gin and Tonic (Gordon’s Gin)
- The “Vesper” (named after Bond Girl, Vesper Lynd)
- Mojito (exclusive to 2002’s Die Another Day)
- The Americano (Perrier is used to “improve this poor drink”)
- The Old Fashioned
10. The Stinger (His favorite to share with Tiffany in Diamonds are Forever paired with coffee an a touch of crème de menthe)
11. Heineken (featured in the 1st bond film, Dr. NO)
Make a “Vesper” Exactly How Bond Prescribes:
The Vesper named after the Bond girl, Vesper Lynd, in the book and later film “Casino Royale Claims to invent and only actually drinks in Casino Royale.
The recipe for the Vesper is dictated in chapter 7 as follows:
‘A dry Martini,’ he said. ‘One. In a deep champagne goblet.’ ‘Oui, Monsieur.’ ‘Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large slice of lemon- peel. Got it?’
3 Facts Only the Ultimate 007 Nerd Would Know:
- Surprisingly Bond drinks more Champagne than any other alcoholic beverage. In both Ian Flemmings novels and all 22 Bond films more Champagne has a total of 35 mentions where as vodka has 22 and red wine 10.
- Château Mouton Rothschild is Bond’s beloved Bordeaux.
- Bond believes “expensive soda water is the cheapest way to improve a poor drink.”